× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

L1 Certification question

More
13 years 6 months ago #4520 by jhagan
L1 Certification question was created by jhagan
Good Morning,

I am looking forward to going for L1 Certification at the Oct. 2nd launch.

I could not spend too much time at the Sept. 18 launch, so I could not get my questions answered. So if anybody could give me some insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Everything is in place...I hope, HP rocket, H class motor, NAR membership and HP application. My question is: Next launch (Oct. 2nd) do I just talk with the launch director prior to the attempt or do I need to make previous arraignments and go for the attempt at a later date?

Thanks for any info.

Joe Hagan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4521 by n3tjm
Replied by n3tjm on topic Re:L1 Certification question
Just show up with everything ;). You will need two witnesses. I\'ll be happy to help and be a witness.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4523 by jhagan
Replied by jhagan on topic Re:L1 Certification question
Great!
Well that is good news and thank you for info and the offer to witness.
If you happen notice someone with a Madcow 2.6 Nike Smoke looking nervous, that would be me.

Joe Hagan

More
13 years 6 months ago #4524 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re:L1 Certification question
Joe,

Just fill out the paperwork, get the motor from whomever obtained it for you, load it in your prepped Smoke, fill out a flight card noting you are making a Level 1 attempt and bring it all to the safety check. As with all HPR, have the ignitor with you but don\'t install it until the rocket is on the pad. When your turn comes up, the LCO will announce your flight, check that your witnesses are ready and push the button.

Once you retrieve your rocket, bring it back to your witnesses so they can confirm all is well. At the last launch one of the Level 1 attempts had to unpack his recovery system to show it was good to go again; it was probably easier to carry back packed up but the witnesses want to see everything.

Hope it all goes well for you. The Nike Smoke is a great rocket and I love to see them fly.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4567 by Marsfire
Replied by Marsfire on topic Re:L1 Certification question
When I witness a flight, I try to make it a point to walk out with the flier to the recovery site. I can see the rocket \"as landed\" and tell that everything is in good shape and re-flyable. No broken fins, zippers, missing parts, or spit motors. Then I can tell them there is something that needs to be seen by everyone before a decision can be made (badly tangled recovery system, or cracked but not broken fin) and they should try to bring it back as-is if possible. Or, that everything looks great and they can now start spending real money on the hobby.:P If nothing else, having an idea what to expect tends to be good for the blood pressure on the walk back to the range head.:lol:

Andrew

More
13 years 6 months ago #4596 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re:L1 Certification question
Joe,
I sent you an email with some info about your rocket being found. :woohoo: We don\'t know who carried it out of the brush but it must have been someone who is very familiar with the better paths to take.

Everything was intact so you can easily try for your Level 1 again.
Kenn