× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #4459 by mlaudato
Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch was created by mlaudato
Greetings. I\'m a new member, and was at the launch on Saturday, putting my trusty Scout into the air for the first time in decades.

All three launches went well, aside from some igniter problems (my fault likely, as it has been a while). All were with A8-3 engines, and boy does that little bird fly!

I\'m currently refurbishing the Scout - full sanding, sealing and refinishing job to hide that gauze and other imperfections. Several other rockets are on the refurb bench, and I hope to have them all ready for Oct 2.

About me: Physicist by training, software engineer by vocation, father of Carmine (4 1/2, who was at the launch with me), happily married to Petrula for 16 years. Very excited to be back into rocketry and to share it with my son.

Will upload a picture of Carmine at Launch Pad 1, waiting for the Scout to launch, and just thrilled about being there.

Thanks,
- Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mlaudato
  • mlaudato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #4461 by mlaudato
Replied by mlaudato on topic Re:Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch
And I should add: I will not jump the flags..I will not jump the flags..I will not jump the flags.. (x100 on the blackboard)

More
13 years 6 months ago #4463 by jflis
Replied by jflis on topic Re:Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch
Glad you had a good time :) It was great to see that old Scout in action. I got some nice pix of it that you can see on our photo album at FlisKits.

To say this was a perfect launch would not be an exaggeration, that\'s for sure! :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #4465 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re:Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch
mlaudato wrote:

And I should add: I will not jump the flags..I will not jump the flags..I will not jump the flags.. (x100 on the blackboard)

Matt, sorry to have scolded you as I did for the center ring violation but, as everyone will attest, it has been a long standing frustration of mine. :blush: Fortunately, we never instituted the suggested bear traps or automated mechanalical deterrents; I prefer yelling.

I do fully applaud and admire the enthusiasm that sent you on the bee-line to your little Scout. That was one of my first rockets when I was in Junior High and I have one now I just need to fill and finish.

I\'m glad you\'ve got some others on the bench to bring and that your son is sharing in the fun. I look forward to seeing you put more stuff up in October.

Kenn

More
13 years 6 months ago #4466 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch
mlaudato wrote:

Everybody (except Kenn) has done it once. It got yelled at for running through the wires at the first CMASS launch I attended over 20 years ago.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4469 by dostergaard
Replied by dostergaard on topic Re:Great time at Sept 18 Amesbury launch
I also attended this past Saturday with one of my sons, Ben (11) and two of his schoolmates. Ben\'s brother, Tim (9), couldn\'t make it due to a soccer game. I believe this was the first or nearly the first exposure to model rocketry for both of Ben\'s schoolmates. Certainly the first time any of us have seen any MPR or HPR launches other than on YouTube.

This was the first organized launch any of us had ever attended and we had a terrific time! This was quite different than an hour or so at the local rec fields when it is just the three of us.

BTW, the ant was fine and didn\'t seem at all disoriented when Ben released him post flight. :)

Thanks to everyone who makes this happen. Also thanks to Jim for covering the fees and Happy 8th Anniversary to FlisKits!

I am certain we\'ll return. It is definitely worth the 1.5 hour trip from Portland.

++Dean