× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Ace of Cakes TARC Launch

• hgreenblatt
  • hgreenblatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 6 months ago #4388 by hgreenblatt
Ace of Cakes TARC Launch was created by hgreenblatt
The \"Ace of Cakes\" show on the Food Network about the cake that was launched at TARC is on tonight: Full Throttle Bakery. It should be interesting - I wonder how much TARC promotion will actually be in the show. I may even get a cameo chasing the cameraman out of the pads area while we were trying to launch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4392 by KennB
Replied by KennB on topic Re:Ace of Cakes TARC Launch
Howard,
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn\'t see your note until about 10 minutes after the show had ended but I did tape the repeat showing at 1 am and watched it this morning.

The edits were pretty quick so I didn\'t pick anyone out of the crowd. It was actually a good presentation of our hobby and we even got props from the Ace himself. He did make extra cakes; was there enough for everyone? :cheer:

One of the other segments was pretty cool (F/A-18 cake) and the other filled out the half-hour.

Catch it if you can.
Kenn

More
13 years 6 months ago #4393 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Ace of Cakes TARC Launch
It was entertaining but not particularly accurate which should come as no surprise. At least everybody looked reasonably sane and the TARC and NAR logos were prominently displayed. The cake cam video of the flight was nice.

• hgreenblatt
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 6 months ago #4394 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re:Ace of Cakes TARC Launch
I did watch the show and thought they did a pretty good job. I think they could have dropped the whole Leaning Tower / Coliseum - Bar Mitzva cake part, although it was a pretty neat looking cake. The F/A-18 cake was awesome and made me think we should call them for Flis\'s anniversary. How about a giant Frick and Frack cake? :cheer:

They did cut short the TARC segment, but what they did have I thought was pretty positive. The part when he was interviewing the team dressed in green was when I had to tell him and the camera man they had to move because they were holding up the launch (beware the Wrath of Trip ).

The \"using math and science\" bit was great (he uses it everyday in the bakery) but the 10,000 G\'s on the moon was pretty harsh. Also his final line about nerds ending up being much cooler than anyone else was right on!

All in all - not bad for a rocket related cake show.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4396 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Ace of Cakes TARC Launch
hgreenblatt wrote:

made me think we should call them for Flis\'s anniversary. How about a giant Frick and Frack cake? :cheer:

This could work. It will have to be large and the cake on the upper stage has to be really thick. We get everybody to stand in a big circle around the pad and open their mouths. When the second stage fires everyone will be fed at once. Or did you mean a static cake?

• hgreenblatt
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 6 months ago #4397 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re:Ace of Cakes TARC Launch
You\'re right! Static cakes are for weenies. I like the idea very much. We can use canted motors (ala Boris) so we can really get it spinning on the way up, and LOTS of frosting. Mmmmmm. Classic pie/cake in the face on a grand scale.