× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch

• tonypv
  • tonypv's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 6 months ago #4365 by tonypv
Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch was created by tonypv
Here\'s my video of the launch.
Not the greatest but you can see a couple of other rockets.

I got some good screen caps. These are in the gallery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4366 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch
tonypv wrote:

Here\'s my video of the launch.
Not the greatest but you can see a couple of other rockets.

I got some good screen caps. These are in the gallery.

Here\'s mine:

Howard and Ross, did you get anything?

More
13 years 6 months ago #4367 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re:Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch
Unfortunately the Aiptek camera wasn\'t initialized properly and with the Oracle, one of the roaming energizer bunny kids grabbed it and must have turned it off. I thought it would keep the video in memory even though it was turned off, but I just checked and it was cleared out. So I am zero for two.

That does bring up another issue, kid rules at launches. Most of the kids who have been regularly coming to launches are terrific and their parents know to keep them under control. Yesterday however, there were a lot of new folks there and thus the usual running thru the launch circle, chasing after and grabbing other people\'s rockets, etc. etc.. I saw a kid who was running around trip over someone\'s box of rockets and damage a few. When the rocket\'s owner came back and noticed the damage the kid\'s dad did not even acknowledge what his son did. Fortunately I don\'t think the damage was too bad, but still...

We are making signs for parking rules, maybe we should also have signs that clearly explain general launch conduct - first and foremost for safety issues and also for other things like preventing property damage. Maybe put one sign up at safety check and one where we serve hot dogs for the spectators. We could even have a handout so people can know what\'s expected of them and they don\'t act like they are at the county fair.

I think it\'s fantastic that kids are being introduced to the hobby and I\'m totally on board for \"paying it forward\", but I think we need to do something to get things a bit more under control before someone gets hurt.

(Stepping down from soapbox now)

More
13 years 6 months ago #4368 by guyw
Replied by guyw on topic Re:Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch
In general I agree with Howard\'s post. I think we should make it clear that keeping track of and recovering booster stages would be considered OK and encouraged, and that if you are in remote areas of the field and find someone else\'s lost rocket, (like overhead in a tree somewhere ;) ) picking that up and returning it would also be encouraged.

Guy.

Chairman of the re-elect John for Treasurer Committee (with complements to Kenn).

More
13 years 6 months ago #4372 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re:Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch
I agree that we need some way to encourage range etiquette. A sign certainly wouldn\'t hurt but I\'m not sure how much good it would do. People would have to read it first.

It looks to me like the offenders are mainly newbies. Perhaps we could add the rules to the directions to the field.

Anybody got any other ideas?

More
13 years 6 months ago #4373 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re:Mass Video/Frick-N-Frack launch
Sorry to have hijacked the Mass Video / Frick-N-Frack launch thread. It was definitely a very cool event and well deserving of it\'s own discussion. There are some great shots and video stills in the gallery. I\'ll start a new thread for range etiquette.