× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to trade build ideas and kit reviews.

What do you use to fill in the body tube spiral?

• TimDawson
  • TimDawson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 4 months ago #10865 by TimDawson
If you fill in the body tube spiral, what do you use?

I use to use DAP DryDex Spackle (goes on pink, dries white).  It was very easy to sand but didn't do a good job hiding the seam, so I switched to model putty.  It is a lot harder to sand but does a better job hiding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #10866 by BDB
I'm a fan of Bondo spot glazing putty. You have to put it on quickly, and it makes everything a red mess, but it sands smooth and paints well.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #10867 by DeltaVee

I'm a fan of Bondo spot glazing putty. You have to put it on quickly, and it makes everything a red mess, but it sands smooth and paints well.

I'll use either bondo or Elmer's  Carpenter's wood filler (the yellow kind, not the Grey stuff - too sandy).

Bondo for my larger projects.  The CWF I also trowel  onto balsa prior to finishing with sanding sealer... zero grain after the sealer... and nice and smooth... unless I rush the job!
Bondo does a better job on the spirals overall,  but you won't get high from sniffing CWF!  

When sanding, the spirals, it's best (I think) to use a sanding block so that you don't sand down into the spirals...

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by DeltaVee.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #10869 by RetroRocketGuy
Replied by RetroRocketGuy on topic What do you use to fill in the body tube spiral?
I use the Rust-Oleum grey automotive primer.

(Although it may sound unusual since a lot of my rockets are flying dry lol)

I usually spray multiple light coats, then after drying, sand it nearly down to the cardboard (careful not to sand into the cardboard or further), then repeat. It usually takes between 3-5 painting and sanding sessions. Usually not more than 5. 

It sands great, and takes very well to wet sanding.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by RetroRocketGuy.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #10871 by deangelo54
Replied by deangelo54 on topic What do you use to fill in the body tube spiral?
I had good results with my Eradicator build using Rust-Oleum white primer and white gloss paint. I did not do much sanding. The body tube and plywood fins came out very well. Check out the attached photo.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by deangelo54.

More
2 years 4 months ago #10873 by BDB
I am building a 6" dia rocket using Blue Tube, and the spirals are pretty deep, so I'm going to try something new. Several rocketeers said good things about Super Fil on TRF, so I ordered some from Aircraft Spruce. I'll tell you guys how it goes.

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/0..._EAQYASABEgI3E_D_BwE