× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Contest Flying at CMASS

More
9 years 4 months ago #7652 by dhillson
Contest Flying at CMASS was created by dhillson
All,

Is there any interest in hosting a competition meet?

I understand CMASS doesn’t typically do much (or possibly any) competition flying, but I am willing to act as Contest Director and host a sectional meet sometime next year. I’m assuming for a contest next year, the events would need to be simple or perhaps more fun type events.

Anyone that’s able to respond, I’d be interested in knowing if there is at least some interest in conducting a competition next year. I’d also like to know what the procedures are at CMASS for proposing such an event. At my old club we would need to propose contests at club meetings and then vote on them etc. I don’t know what the precedent is at CMASS.

For those of you that don’t know me I’m a relatively new member originally flying with NOVAAR (Section #205 out of Virginia). Due to my schedule during the week I’m generally unable to attend club meetings so the best way for me to reach club members seems to be over the website.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #7653 by billspad
Replied by billspad on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS

At my old club we would need to propose contests at club meetings and then vote on them etc. I don’t know what the precedent is at CMASS.

We're a little less formal at CMASS. If you're willing to do the work and we don't hear a major protest (with a really compelling reason not to do it) from the membership, go for it.

More
9 years 4 months ago #7654 by davisolzoe
Replied by davisolzoe on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS
I might build the "rotary revolution" helicopter recovery rocket featured in the Apogee videos this winter, would be great to compete w/ someone else in the spring/summer….

www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_...ts/Rotary_Revolution

More
9 years 4 months ago #7655 by bobkrech
Replied by bobkrech on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS

At my old club we would need to propose contests at club meetings and then vote on them etc. I don’t know what the precedent is at CMASS.

We're a little less formal at CMASS. If you're willing to do the work and we don't hear a major protest (with a really compelling reason not to do it) from the membership, go for it.

IIRC John B is the only member that has seriously flown in competition. The last one I remember here was "AWEFUL" about 10 years ago with the events being C-Egg Loft Duration, B-Streamer Duration, and A Spot Landing IIRC.

Bob

More
9 years 4 months ago #7668 by rtuinila
Replied by rtuinila on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS
I used to like the competitions CMASS had back in the day. Matter of fact I still have the ribbons I won.

More
9 years 3 months ago #7709 by dhillson
Replied by dhillson on topic Re: Contest Flying at CMASS
Based on this feedback, my plan is as follows:

I'll choose events designed to attract beginners and non-competitive fliers to participate. There's a vote for A HD, so I'll probably honor that, and it can be the difficult event. If possible I'll include some NARAM events for those of us that may go to NARAM this year.

The date will be set once the flying season schedule is posted on the website and I'll take care of the paperwork and announcements etc. with the NAR.

The name will be AWEFUL 2, unless I find out we've had a more recent launch.

Lastly, because the club doesn't typically do contest flying I'll put together a 1 page flyer on the events and contest to try and get some people to attend.

Thanks, Doug