× Welcome to the CMASS forum!

A place to discuss anything related to CMASS (and other) launches.

Acton Winter Carnival - Demo Launches - Feb 4th

• KennB
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 years 2 months ago #5740 by KennB
Boris is correct on all counts:

The lake may have a skin of ice on it but, even if it does, it is not solid enough to support any kind of human weight. If you are fortunate, a rocket that lands on it may be able to be blown to the shore by any breeze that may be present. Even though the fire department will be in attendance, we don't want to employ their services.

I'd like to see us keep things below 500 feet or so. If we get good results, we can think about going higher later in the day.

For those using GPS the address is 25 Ledge Rock Way, Acton, MA. It looks like Jim is recommending we use the upper parking lot to be as close to our display area as possible.

I missed the registration deadline for the chili cookoff so someone else will have to win with their inferior recipe.

See you all there.
Kenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5744 by hgreenblatt
Replied by hgreenblatt on topic Re: Acton Winter Carnival - Demo Launches - Feb 4th
That was fun yesterday. Great turnout, lots of good launches and some interesting recovery's. B)

Here's the video from my Oracle:

More
12 years 2 months ago #5746 by billspad
Nice video. I'm still editing the recovery videos. As I realized when I was halfway over it, jumping over the fence instead of walking around was a bad idea.

• jcsalem
  • jcsalem's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 2 months ago #5747 by jcsalem
That was a great rocketry demo day yesterday. By far the most popular Acton Winter Carnival that we've done!

Thanks, all, for some great flights and showy rocket displays. Nice video. I was disappointed that I had to leave early. I was impressed that (at least while I was there) that all rockets were recovered successfully despite the wind blowing directly towards the pond.

Jim

More
12 years 2 months ago #5751 by billspad
The first video is Kenn retrieving a rocket while being serenaded by the Bangles.

The second one is Howard fishing my rocket out of the pond with his fantastic slingshot/fishing reel device. The rocket spend close to an hour in the water but thanks to my liberal use of epoxy it survived. The rocket was a Flis Rhino that I had modified to carry a video camera. I couldn't find the original balsa nose cone so I used a plastic one which filled with water and sank like an anchor.

Unfortunately there's no video of Ed's glider water landing that floated to the shore.